So I made these special for my mom for Mother’s Day, she doesn’t like chocolate but loves nuts and caramel. So I decided that these Blondies with walnuts would be the perfect treat for here on her day. BTW she loved them, they are sweet but the walnuts give the perfect crunch.
Try these out for yourself and see what you think!
* 1 + ⅓ cups chopped walnuts, divided
* 11 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 1 cup packed light brown sugar
* ½ cup pure maple syrup
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 egg
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* ¼ teaspoon baking soda
* 1 tablespoon maple syrup
* dash vanilla
* 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9×9-inch baking pan with parchment paper or foil and add the nuts in one layer.
2. Toast the nuts in the oven 5 – 7 minutes. Let cool.
3. Set a small saucepan over medium-low heat and melt the butter. Stir in the brown sugar and cook 2 – 3 minutes stirring often until the brown sugar is mostly melted. Stir in the maple syrup. Remove from heat.
4. Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl and let it cool.
5. Stir in the salt, egg and vanilla by hand.
6. Sti in the flour and baking soda.
7. Stir in 1 cup of the walnuts.
8. Spoon into the pan and spread evenly from edge to edge. Bake 22 – 25 minutes until lightly golden and mostly set in the center – a slight jiggle is ok – when the pan is shaken.
9. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
Make the icing:
1. Add the maple syrup to a small bowl, whisk in the vanilla and confectioners’ sugar. Add more sugar if needed to make a thin glaze.
2. Drizzle over the cake and sprinkle the top with the remaining walnuts!